What a year it has been!
Whether you are teaching virtual, hybrid, in person, or a combination of any of those methods of instruction, we have never seen a year quite like this!
Talking with teachers across our district, they have gone above and beyond to make sure their students are cared for, heard, and educated. This has been no easy task, and it has taken its toll.
Never in our combined 50+ years of teaching have we seen teachers so stressed and burned out. Spring break couldn’t be coming at a better time. Even though we have two more weeks until our break, you can already see the desperation and yearning for a break on educators’ faces.
Below are our five tips for teachers of how to rest, relax and rejuvenate over spring break.
Top Five Tips for Teachers
1. Do not, we repeat, do not, step foot into your school over your vacation. It is called “break” for a reason. It means to separate yourself from your work. You have earned it. Do not feel guilty that you are taking time for yourself. You deserve it!
2. Reconnect with extended family. We are hoping by now that your parents, if they are 65 or older, have received at least one, if not two doses of the vaccine. Under new CDC guidelines, you are now able to get together with them and even give them a hug if it has been two weeks after their second (or only Johnson and Johnson) shot. We have missed being able to hug our loved ones. This will help tremendously in uplifting your spirits.
3. Put your bookbag away! Yes, we told you to stay away from your building. But this also means hide that bookbag somewhere and don’t pull it out until Sunday night or Monday morning before you go back. You need time to do what you enjoy. If you enjoy reading books about a new educational topic, fine. But don’t correct papers, lesson plan, or check your school email either.
4. Take time for yourself. Whether it is binge watching a show, taking a walk, having a glass or two of your favorite beverage, soaking in an extra long bath, or just going for a drive, do it! You have dedicated over 3/4 of the school year to your students. It is now time to focus on you.
5. Help out your colleagues. Sometimes helping others is a great boost to your own self-worth. Before or after break spread a little cheer in your building with some of these ideas:
Inspirational Ideas for Colleagues
Inspirational Quotes and Sayings for Teachers provide your co-workers with some inspiration for the rest of the year!
Teacher Gift Tags are a great way to give an inexpensive gift with a little fun message to a teacher in your building.
Make sure to rest, relax and rejuvenate this Spring Break!